- This event has passed.
Supporting Sexually and Gender Diverse Youth Through Trauma-Informed Care
March 21 @ 1:00 pm - 2:15 pm EDTFree
PREVNet is pleased to have three dynamic presenters lead this webinar.
Marisa Van Bavel and Cristina Fernández Conde’s presentation:
Despite society’s growing acceptance of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, queer, intersex, pansexual, two-spirit (2S), androgynous, and asexual (2SLGBTQIA+) youth, it is important for practitioners to recognize and respond to the trauma and victimization these youth may be exposed to throughout their lives. Trauma-Informed Care (TIC) is a framework practitioners can use to identify and reduce stressful factors for 2SLGBTQIA+ youth. This webinar will focus on providing an overview of the use of TIC with sexually and gender diverse youth as well as provide considerations for practitioners using this framework.
Fae’s Johnstone presentation:
Through an exploration of the lived experiences of 2SLGBTQ+ youth, including prevalence of violence and harassment, this session will equip participants with a better understanding of the structural roots of violence against 2SLGBTQ+ youth, and their role in supporting young people with lived experience of trauma. Blended with insights on practical implementation of 2SLGBTQ+ inclusion within a trauma-informed framework, this session will provide attendees with concrete skills and tools to ensure 2SLGBTQ+ young people are safe and supported within their care experiences.
1. Describe Trauma-Informed Care (TIC).
2. Learn about TIC and its use with 2SLGBTQIA+ youth
3. Provide considerations for practitioners using TIC with 2SLGBTQIA+ youth
4. Build understanding of the forms of violence that shape the well-being of 2SLGBTQ+ youth
5. Learn practical tools for creating safer spaces for 2SLGBTQ+ youth
6. Learn how to support 2SLGBTQ+ youth to cope with and manage experiences of harm through a trauma-informed lens