Building Skills for Healthy Relationships
Build Children’s Strengths
- Teens who experience dating violence may have low self-esteem, may be struggling with their identity, or may have low confidence in their ability to manage a relationship.
- Find ways to have conversations about their concerns about relationships and adolescence.
- Encourage your teen to reflect on their experiences.
- Find ways to celebrate and highlight their strengths.
- Build and demonstrate key communication skills.
- Teach your teen how to communicate clearly and constructively.
- Teach your teen how to manage conflicts in a healthy, productive way.
- Ensure that you are being a positive role model by engaging in healthy communication with your teen.
- You can see a guide demonstrating communication strategies you can practice with your teen.
- Demonstrate how to manage stress and negative emotion.
- Watch the movies, TV shows, or web-based content that your teen enjoys to start a conversation about stereotypes, sex, peer pressure, positive behaviour and healthy relationships.
- Notice when your teen communicates well and manages stress in a healthy way. Consistently provide positive feedback and praise when this happens.