Youth Dating Violence by the Numbers
How Often Does Youth Dating Violence Occur?
- Physical & sexual YDV have more accurate estimates than emotional/psychological & cyber YDV in US/Canada.
- All following % are based on reported victimization.
- Best estimate: Wincentak, K., Connolly, J., & Card, N. (2017). Youth Dating Violence: A meta-analytic review of prevalence rates. Psychology of Violence, 7(2), 224-241.
- Emotional/psychological and cyber dating violence: (Leen et al., 2013; Stonard et al., 2014)
EMOTIONAL & PSYCHOLOGICAL
- By gender: (Wincentak, Connolly, & Card, 2017; Leen et al., 2013; Zweig, Dank, Yahner, & Lachman, 2013)
|Emotional / Psychological||35%-55.5%||45-54%|
- Girls experience sexual violence (and cyber violence involving sexual elements), stalking, and severe physical violence at much higher rates than boys
- Data are lacking on transgender and gender non-conforming youth, so there is currently no accurate estimate for these groups. However, preliminary research strongly suggests that both transgender and gender non-conforming youth experience YDV more often than their cis-gender counterparts.